Saturday, April 02, 2011

De Ronde picks

I'm back to destroy the illusion that I know how to pick races. Amazingly, I picked Matt Goss to win Milan-San Remo a couple weeks ago and the darn fool actually won. How am I supposed to follow up that?

It is interesting to note that there has not been any strongly consistent top 10 finisher. Most people would probably think that this is a race that this year's top favorites, Cancellara and Boonen, almost always do well. That's not necessarily the case. Both riders have finished top 10 only twice in the past five years. Boonen has finished top 20 in those other three years. Cancellara had only those top 10's. That is surprising considering that people talk this year as if he is unbeatable.

BMC teammates Ballan and Hincapie lead the way with three Top 10's in the past five years. After them, is a whole pack of riders with two Top 10's besides Boonen and Cancellara. Devolder, Gilbert, Hoste, Kroon, Leukemans, Nuyens and Pozzato all fit the bill.

But, I cannot pick any of those guys. I originally wrote down seven names that would meet my requirements for NOT having finished top 10 in the past five years. Unfortunately, it turns out that I cannot choose three of them after all.

Without further ado, in no particular order...
Lars Boom - my gut tells me his teammate Langeveld might have a better chance but Boom is wearing 51, as if he is team leader, so maybe Langeveld will be working for him. Besides, I have a weakness for CX riders.
Edvald Boasson Hagen - Flecha is probably Sky's leader and Hagen is dealing with Achilles issues so this likely will not be a good selection. I'm crossing my fingers
Daniel Oss - His teammate, Sagan, is probably a better pick but I chose Sagan at M-SR and don't want to pick him again. That said, I saw a photo of Sagan having to put a foot down on the Koppenberg while training this week. I do like Oss and feel he will do fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home