Friday, January 14, 2005

I laid around like a sloth today.

At work I did some further research on a Jefferson Barracks to Columbia IL ride. Initially I planned on taking Hwy 61 from Festus to Ste Genevieve. Another local rider raised some concerns about the auto traffic on that stretch of road even though its part of the Mississippi River Trail. Looking at online maps I think I've found another route that uses some smaller roads and still manages to go in a fairly direct route.

If I do this I'm looking at a late March date. The weather should be getting a little warmer by then and doing some BIG miles like this can't all that bad of preparation for Hillsboro-Roubaix.

News Item of the Day: After spending a good part of the European winter waiting for a contract agreement to be made, Belgian rider Ludo Dierckxsens has finally decided to finish his career as a professional cyclist. The 40 year-old had wanted to continue racing, but his contract with former employer Landbouwkrediet-Colnago was not renewed. Other negotiations with teams like MrBookmaker.com-SportsTech were not successful.

A late starter, Dierckxsens entered the pro peloton in 1994. His main victories include Pais-Bourges in 1998, a stage win at the Tour de France 1999 and the GP d'Ouverture La Marseillaise in 2003. In 1998, he also won the Belgian road championships.

Viewpoint: Between Museeuw and Dierckxsens both retiring this year Belgium has lost two of its biggest fan favorites.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

The jb ride to Columiba looks cool. I thought you were thinking ST. Genevive? I might be game for the ride.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I am still planning on going through Ste. Genevieve but the time on Hwy 61 would be far less with the new route. Maybe 3 miles.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home