Monday, January 31, 2005

Whatever caused me to be so tired after the TTT yesterday didn't linger. I feel good today with the exception of the mild sinus congestion and drainage that occurs every year about this time. There seems to be a little goo settled in my lungs but its of no concern right now.

Etape description: After the Aubisque is a shallow descent and short 3k climb to the top of the Col du Soulor. The road between the two, named the Cirque du Litor, is supposed to be rather amazing. One description I seen on the web is this "From the Col d'Aubisque to the Col du Soulor we enjoyed what I am sure is one of the world's great cycling experiences. This road along the Cirque du Litor is cut into the steep mountainside and the views are spectacular in every direction, with the deep valley on your left and the magnificent peaks on your right. Livestock roams freely - there are no fences - and we had close encounters with cattle, sheep, horses and most particularly goats. It was completely exhilarating. (I was back on that same road the next year with 3 friends. They all mark that day as their best ever cycling experience!) Here is one photo showing the beauty of the road, while this photo shows the danger of the road as cuts a tunnel along the side of a mountain with a shear cliff on one side.

Background: In '98(?), I bought my first Cannondale through the team. A blue CAAD4 R4000 with 9-speed DuraAce and carbon fork. A lighter and better bike than the Trek and my riding improved just because of the switch. I got 5 good years out of the bike before packing it away in storage for emergency usage.

News Item of the Day: Belgium's Tom Boonen (Quickstep) streaked past Mario Cipollini to claim victory and the overall lead after the first stage of the Tour of Qatar Monday. Cipo, wearing the new colours of his Liquigas outfit, as well as last year's overall winner Robbie Hunter, who now rides for Phonak.

In the finale of a flat 143 km stage from Al Khor Corniche to the centre of the capital Doha, the 37-year old Cipollini showed he still has a place in the peloton, making his move early in search of his first win since last April's Tour of Georgia. But it was Boonen who surged after a moment of doubt: “It wasn’t looking good in the last kilometer because I had a little incident with a guy from AG2R. I was in 15th or 20th position," he told the official website. "With 500m to go, I gave everything I had, I started passing guys and went to Cipollini’s wheel. He started sprinting and I passed him immediately."

Boonen takes the overall leader's golden jersey for Tuesday's 167.5km stage 2.

Viewpoint: Boonen has developed into one fine sprinter. A couple years ago he was thought to be good sprinter but people did not speak of him being top caliber. Maybe something like a Stuart O'Grady, who will grab a sprint here or there but doesn't take the sprint finales. A couple years of maturity (hopefully that's all it is) and Mr Boonen is among the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home