Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Tonight I plan to do some core exercises. Next week my intention is to increase the training a little and start riding Wednesday evenings.

I'm glad to see February come around. February can be a pretty harsh month but I look at it as the beginning of the end of winter. March I consider to be the beginning of Spring, however boneheaded that might be. So, since I decree it to be so, here is to the last month of winter. Cheers.

Background: Last year I purchased my current bike. Actually I only bought the frame and fork and then swapped the my old DuraAce 9-speed to the new metallic blue CAAD5 Cannondale. A bike not very much different than my old Cannondale. I suppose it weighs a wee bit less. A few of the tubes are ovalized. Does it ride differently? To be honest, I can't tell any difference.

News Item of the Day: Denmark's Lars Michaelsen won Stage 3 of the Tour of Qatar Wednesday, mastering a wind-ripped, 194 km route between Al Wakra and Al Khor Corniche. CSC rider Michaelsen also jumped into the overall leader's jersey, 1 min 14 sec better than teammate and fellow Dane Matti Breschel.

"I'm very happy for myself but also for the team," Michaelsen said on the Tour of Qatar's official website. "CSC was ever-present at the front of the race. We took the reins -- as planned -- after 25 km of racing." "It was a long day in the saddle, with a lot of wind. Windy conditions are a specialty of CSC riders, but also for the Danes," Michaelsen said, making mention of the wind-swept plains of his country of origin.

Michaelsen and teammate Breschel succeeded in severing ties with the rest of the bunch, the duo relaying to the finish with 1 min 20 sec of freedom before Michaelsen sprinted to victory, two seconds faster than Breschel.

Previous overall winner Tom Boonen of Belgium -- winner of stages one and two -- was pitched back to a second group, the race cut into echelon by the wind. Boonen trailed in with a secondary pack 5 min 35 sec off the pace, falling from first to fifth in the general classification.

Viewpoint: CSC crushed the field in a race last year where there was a lot of wind. I want to say the race was Paris-Nice. They put themselves in front when a change in the course presented a crosswind and the race shattered. Out of curiosity, I just checked and it was Paris-Nice last year during stage 2. 36 riders made the split and 8 of them were CSC and 5 were Postal but CSC was the driving force. That stage lost the race for Vinokourov and several others who finished over five minutes behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home