Saturday, March 19, 2005

Hard ride today. Five of us came out and tackled some of the tougher hills around and temperatures that didn't get as warm as they were supposed to thanks to pretty consistent cloud cover.

The first half of the ride I felt off my game. I got up the hills okay but not real good and I was chest breathing a lot. Maybe the cool weather had something to do with it. My helmet strap was pretty tight too thanks to my balaclava. My breathing felt constricted by that as well. Enough with my excuses.

It was a good ride though and we tried a new road. Nollman, off of Antire leads you down to Little Antire. Like most smaller roads it wasn't super smooth but it was in good condition. I didn't feel we were riding terribly slowly but we cut out the final loop I planned that included Franks Rd. It was already noon and that loop would have added another 30-45 minutes. It was time for us to head back and do things in real life. Franks Rd and I will rendezvous sometime in the future.

News Item of the Day: With a powerful sprint up the Via Roma with 250m to go, Alessandro Petacchi (Fassa Bortolo) has claimed victory in the 96th Milan-San Remo, the first time that he has ever won the classicissima. A group of around 50 riders made it over the Cipressa and Poggio to contest the finish, and Petacchi kept his head all the way, not panicking when Bettini led out early to try to induce him into a long sprint.

"I am happy, I realised the dream of my life," said Petacchi after crossing the finish line. "I was at my best for this race and even though the sprint was not what I imagined because Bettini moved over in the last 250 metres leaving me in the wind. I did a long sprint, as I had decided, and rode everyone off the wheel and did it."

In second place was German sprinter Danilo Hondo (Gerolsteiner), who held off a fast finishing Thor Hushovd (Credit Agricole). But there was no catching Petacchi today.

Viewpoint: I should have stuck with my Hondo prediction. Freire did okay for 9th. Boonen snagged 8th and Trenti was in the final sprint and picked up 19th. Not bad picks but not great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home