Monday, May 09, 2005

I'm feeling better still but the nausea continues to linger. Tomorrow I'm going to miss the Tues. Worlds again but this time it is because of a very exciting staff meeting at work. Whee!!!! Since there will be no riding tomorrow I got out and rode for an hour today. At least I'm not nauseas when riding. I felt better today. The legs were still stiff from yesterdays ride but hurt less on the bike. Most of the ride was up and down as I took the subdivision back to Suson and then climbed in and out of the park three times.

News Item of the Day: SANTA MARIA DEL CEDRO, Italy, May 9 (Reuters) - After only two stages of the Giro d'Italia the gloves have come off in the sprints with Alessandro Petacchi and Robbie McEwen exchanging strong words after a chaotic finish on Monday.

McEwen won the stage and Petacchi, who was blocked in and finished fourth, accused the Australian and Estonia's Jaan Kirsipuu of working together to stop him winning. "You could see that McEwen and Kirsipuu had agreed to get me off the wheel of my lead out man Marco Velo," the Italian told reporters. "I wanted to win the sprint but perhaps all my success of the last few years annoys some people and so perhaps the other sprinters have created a coalition against me."

McEwen responded in the stage winner's news conference. "There was no conspiracy," he said. "Everybody can say what they want but (Julian) Dean and Kirsipuu were riding their own sprint as far as I know." "I saw them move up and they make a good tandem so I gambled and I decided to follow them. Kirsipuu went early and so gave me an armchair ride to the finish."

McEwen made it clear that the other sprinters in the Giro had decided to fight back against Petacchi and his dominant Fassa Bortolo team to stop him repeating his record of nine stage wins set last year. "We're not going to sit and let Fassa Bortolo and Petacchi rule the sprints any more," he said. "In the last couple of years we saw that other sprinters were killing each other for his wheel while he sat there comfortable behind his team mate before starting his sprint when he felt like it." "Nine times out of 10 he would win but now instead of sitting behind and being slaughtered we're going to get up there, take them on and standing up for ourselves."

Petacchi enjoys a clean and fast sprint to the line but thanks to his sharp bike handling skills learnt while racing BMX bikes as a child McEwen likes to jump around and fight for position in the final metres. "Sprinting in cycling is not like sprinting on an athletics track. There are no lanes and cycling is more about finding the best line to the finish," he said. "I won today because I was fast enough, clever enough and strong enough to be in the right place at the right time." When there is more competition and Petacchi doesn't get an easy ride to the finish it's easier to beat him."

The next round of the sprinters' battle is expected to be at the end of Tuesday's third 205-km stage from Diamante to Giffoni Valle Piana.

Viewpoint: Petacchi is sounding like he ate some sour grapes for breakfast. Waaahhhh!!! The others won't let me win!!!! Waaahhh!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home