Sunday, April 24, 2005

Today brought stage 3 of the Tour of St Louis in Forest Park. Everything was a half hour behind schedule which was good because my schedule was a little tighter than I like. The extra warmup was good. My legs felt only average with minor stiffness and thus my ambition going into the race was not great. The legs loosened some by race time. Again I started slowly but the first lap was pretty hot and when turned into the headwind I immediately had to hustle to catch a wheel for fear of getting stuck in a headwind alone for too long. The race settled down and I moved up and covered a few attacks. About 25 mins in I covered on of the attacks by a CowTown and a Mack. As I caught on, a big ol' fast train came roaring up the right side of the road. This hurt and the legs tightened. Please legs, dont fail me. They didn't fail and the rest of the race I let the pack tow me around. On occasion I would move up but there wasn't a lot of contribution. Aaron worked a lot and got in a number of small breaks. Justin went on a long solo. Nate was going for a high overall finish and put in some good breaks and eventually stuck one with a Clubber(?) with about 5 laps to go. The two of them did a real nice job staying away and Nate got the win. Very impressive. He will be upgrading in a few weeks. By the last lap I moved to mid-pack and let it all hand out coming through the final turn. Again today I had a lot to give and passed a bunch of riders and snagged 10th place, the last paying position. I'm really happy with the way my sprint is going. A little better positioning and I'll be cracking some top 5's.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "clubber" was Brian Shoemaker. Do you know if Nate did the majority of the work in that break? Did they make a deal? I would guess that Nate did most of the work, and Brian was just happy to get 2nd? Nice racing this weekend, Jim.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'm not sure how much work Brian did. Nate did not say anything about having to do all the work so I suppose they split the pulls. Nate probably has the bigger engine though so it's likely he did more work.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home