Saturday, April 09, 2005

Another road race, another crappy performance. How very frustrating. I've put in some really good long miles and I come to a 66 mile race and I'm out after 44 because of cramps. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I should have drank more on the first lap. That's the only explanation I have.

The first lap went well but 1/3 way thru the second, the legs started feeling heavier and I knew I had to drink more. Even approaching town, I was doing okay and trying to hide as much as possible in the hope that I could re-hydrate along the way. On the feed zone hill I got behind a Proctor rider that was really laboring. He was hanging onto the pack but thats about it. I was scared to move off the shoulder of the road though because I really needed my other bottle and wasn't positive where Patrick was in the feed zone. At the top, Proctor guy cracked and the gap opened. I got my bottle and went around but 60-70 ft had opened up. Not a lot of distance but with my heavy legs it hurt. Just before the second hill I caught on but the legs were burning and the gap began to open again. That was the race right there on that hill. The pack powered on while my legs burned with desperation. I rolled through start/finish, hoping that the pack would slow some and maybe catch on but it wasn't happening. Down the hill, out of town I went and then up the next hill keeping a steady pace. I got out of the saddle and the legs locked up with cramps. The white flag went up. No way I could finish the lap in my condition and I turned around.

Positives: I rode well before the legs started to go.
Neatives: Hydrate, dumbass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home