Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tonight was the kickoff of this years local Tuesday Night World Championship crit series at Carondelet Park. It was an interesting night. While taking some warmup laps my bike felt bumpy on the sweeping downhill. Several times I was going to stop and check the tire but the rest of the time the ride felt smoother. Seven minutes before the race start the rear tube exploded like a gunshot. I hustled back to the car to make a fix. Thankfully, only the tube exploded and the tire was still good and I made it to the start with a few minutes to spare.

Once the race started a four man break went virtually from the gun. I was aggressive in covering an bridging attempts and was pleased with my efforts. After tiring a bit, I dropped back into the pack to gather myself for a couple laps. Half a lap later, there was a distinct PSSSSTTTTTT!!!! I looked around and then down at my rear again. At first I didnt feel it was me because I couldn't feel the harsh ride of rim on pavement but sure enough my brand new tube was history.

I haven't spent the time to thoroughly investigate but I suppose there is something in the tire that is not very obvious. Figuring I had enough bad luck for the night I helped Buddy out for the rest of the race and with the final scoring. I'm just glad I rode aggressively for the time that I was in the race otherwise it would have been a wasted night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home