Saturday, April 30, 2005

All week I had been wavering whether to do the Apple Pie race. All week the forecast had looked like rain for today so that was a convenient excuse to not race but as the week wore on it became more apparent that the weather would be good.

Ultimately, I didn't have a strong desire to race. I'm grateful for any race venue we can get and the folks at the apple farm are very generous in letting us take over their place. A few things kept me from racing today. One, I goofed off most of the week and didn't ride much. Two, I'm not crazy about a 1/2/3 that scores 3's separately. Instead of a 3's race it becomes a which 3 can hang with the 1/2's longest race and you're left trying to determine who's a 3 and who isn't. Third, the race course doesn't really get me excited. It's a big rectangle with some rollers. Like I said, I'm grateful for any course but this one doesn't get my juices flowing enough to make me want to go.

I did ride for an hour and a half today in preparation for Sunday's race. Damn it was windy which makes me even happier that I did not race today. I don't care for the wind. It is not my friend. It can be a good training tool and I face it enough over in Columbia. Racing against the wind in a race that will likely blow apart into tiny fragments makes for a long, unpleasant day in the saddle. In the end, the wind turned out to be the best reason to not race. Choose your fights wisely. Tomorrow, hopefully, was the wise choice. Still I wonder how I would have done. Twelve deep is a decent payout.

News Item of the Day: Discovery Channel's Viatcheslav Ekimov was injured Friday during a crash while riding with Lance Armstrong, and the Russian's Tour de France may be in jeopardy. Armstrong escaped injury in the Austin mishap, but the 39-year-old Ekimov was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was diagnosed with a broken sternum.

According to www.thepaceline.com, Armstrong's fan-club website, Ekimov hit a hole in the road, lost control of his bike, hit the stem with his chest and landed on his back. Ekimov hopes to be transported back home to St. Petersburg, Russia, for rehabilitation, according to his friend Dirk Baert. Speaking to Het Nieuwsblad, Baert said: "He must wear a corset for six weeks. By that time, we'll already be halfway through June. The chance that he will ride with Armstrong in the Tour is very small."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home