Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Jay called Monday looking for someone to ride with. He's trying to get some fitness back after being off the bike since about October. He talked about his legs not being strong but I assumed it was typical cyclist talk, downplaying how one feels. As it turned out, he was telling the truth. Most of the ride he sat on my wheel and got towed around. We rode out to Lone Elk and he was hurting on the first hill entering the park. That is not Jay. Normally he dances up hills.

We had a nice 2 hr ride. Nothing terribly intense except for a few short efforts. Within the last couple miles he started to feel frisky and attacked up Brookton Way. I didn't chase right away but gritted my teeth and brought him back about 3/4 of the way up. This road is a double hill. We descended and near the bottom he went again, hard and had good momentum. I had a bad gear and was not going to bring him back unless he totally cracked, which he did, in a way. Nearing the top, he shifted. The chain must have bound up. He turned left, tried to correct with a right turn, over-corrected to the left and then over the handlebars he went. It was scary but impressive viewing. He was shaken up and had a few scrapes on the elbow and knee but emerged safe and sound. His rear wheel wasn't so lucky. It had a BIG wobble. It was rideable but unfixable. The knee gave no problems during or after the ride.

Tonight was Tuesday Worlds. I rode okay in the A race and got about 7th in the field sprint. I am really lacking either the ability or the desire to bridge up to breaks. I can see them up the road. They look reachable but something is holding me back from giving it a go. My recovery right is not good. If I were to bridge I think I would get dropped right back off so I think that is holding me back. It's a mental thing. I need to do some intervals. I've really neglected that type of work this year during the week.

The B race happened. I was there, hung out, moved up a few times and gave a decent effort on the final lap. Again I was about 6th or 7th in the field. That is fine. It's just training miles.

Viewpoint: This morning was one of the more spectacular sunrises I've seen. About 5:20 I looked out and saw what had earlier looked promising had seemed to fizzle out. Ten minutes later when I left, the garage door opened and was witness to a great view but had left the camera inside and didn't have time to go back and get it. Layer upon layer of cloud was underlit with a brilliant orange. Quite a view.

Whipped up a damn fine Gooey Butter cake Monday. It is about as unhealthy as any cake you make but oh my does it taste good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay? Jay Strothman? I thought he moved to Colorado last year?

11:44 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Oh man. Home made gooey butter cake! That's pure torture to describe it on your blog!!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

No, Jay is still in town rehabbing his house. I believe his goal is still to sell the house and then move.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home