Monday, August 29, 2005

Spent the weekend racing in western MO at a couple of first time races. Saturday was a 7pm twilight race in Sedalia so Joe and I were able to leave relatively late at 2pm. We got there in good time and had about an hour and a half to get ready. Perfect. The course was a rectangle with two long straights and two short straights. The last half of the backside was a gradual downhill and the corresponding spot on the homestretch provided a gradual uphill sprint to the line. Joe, Jose, Justin and I were representing the 3's while Shane joined us a 4 after getting 3rd in the 4/5 race. Not a bad squad but less formidable than what we are capable of fielding when everyone shows up.

The course provided for a quick pace and the small field of 25 kept the race active with no shortage of attacks. Everyone put in a good effort and did what they could. The final lap found me further back than I wanted. Someplace in the upper teens. Going into the first time something happened and two riders let a good gap open up. I guessed they just popped and let it open. A KU rider and I hopped around them and had to lay it down on the back. I played it cool and made the KU guy do the work. Thankfully he was strong enough to get us on the back of the pack by the end of the straight. Then it was just a question of getting through the short chute and hammer up the hill to the line. My kick wasn't killer but it moved me up a few spots but I knew I didn't get in the top 10 for money. My guess was 15th.

The officials posted the results and I was nowhere in the top 20. What the F? Justin was completely overlooked too. My gut reaction was to say "Oh well" since I wasn't in a point or money earning position. Joe urged me to protest anyway and I did. It never ceases to amaze me how often the officials screw up the videotaping of a finish. In this case, the camera was not at a great angle and it was hard to see riders on the far side of the course. The problem they could not control was a poor video image. Race numbers were completely indecipherable. We were left trying to distinguish riders by jerseys, shoe color and even a blur of sock color. We got Justin slotted in somewhere around 9th and it turns out I got a little better finish than I thought and managed a 13th place.

After watching the incredibly fast 1/2/3 race won by Joe Hill we headed to our hotel in Warrensburg.

Sunday we woke up and went downstairs for the hotel breakfast. I loaded up pretty well on bread-like items. I'm not a coffee drinker except for a handful of times a year I might have cup. But, I figured I'd give myself a little caffeine jumpstart and had a couple cups. We checked out of the hotel at 10 but had 5 hrs before our 3pm race. We hopped in the cars and Justin led the way to the course since he had a map. We were looking for Pine St. according to his map. I knew the course wasn't far but before long we had blown by the University and then the city limits and Justin was motoring on down the road. Joe blew his horn and I signaled that we need to turn around. Joe led us back to the University and we started down one of the roads thru campus. Joe and I slowed to get our bearings and Justin went by like he knew where he was. A minute later he was messed up, we passed him and found the right street. Despite the navigational miscues the course setup still had net yet begun other than the Start banner being set up.

We killed some time trying to figure out what the course would be based on corners had barricades waiting to be put in position. After a few laps we headed to registration but they still were not ready and waiting for one of the officials to arrive from Sedalia with some materials. The homestretch was a long gradual uphill, a left hand turn that continue up for another block. Then it was downhill and whole series of turns. Left, quick left, quick right, left, right, longer straight downhill, left turn and a quick right and then the uphill to the finish.

It was warm so we found shelter in the coffee shop upstairs. I'm not sure what got into me but I ordered a big cup of coffee. Meanwhile the organizers were having trouble getting everything together. There were a number cars to be towed, street cleaners had to sweep the course, race numbers were non-existant so riders who didn't keep their numbers from Saturday night or didn't race had to make their own numbers. Eventually, the race came together an hour behind schedule. Yes!!! More time to kill. Joe and I got changed, found a shady spot and laid down to relax. Lying there I knew I was hopped up on caffeine. My heart was clearly beating faster than normal. I wasn't crazy with that but hoped I would settle down before race time.

I got my typically poor start, picked up a few spots and waited for the uphill to come. I had good momentum and blew right by everyone and had a quick gap. By the second turn, the pack was back on my wheel but pulled everyone around for the remainder of the lap. Maybe all the coffee was doing good. After that I settled in and was doing okay but eventually I became to feel the pace. The hill seemed to take its toll as its upper section started to burn. Soon I was at the back and the accordian effect of the turns was taking its toll. Maybe it was my imagination but I felt that my heart was still racing fast and hampering recovery. Justin was sitting behind at the back and I kept telling him to get around because I knew I was not good and I didn't want to gap him. Finally he went around and a lap or two later the hill weakened me to the point having a gap open and and I was gone a lap later. A disappointing race after feeling pretty good the night before. Thats the last time I drink the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee before a race. One cup, maybe.

Then it was the long drive home. We pulled up to Joe's place at 9pm. Too late! Sunday races should start earlier to allow for travel times. People do work on Mondays. The delays, of course, didn't help. Warrensburg was fun race, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

I'm reading Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage at the moment, and he used to dope by shoving caffeine suppositories up his butt, so be happy with the coffee method!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Sounds like a nice weekend. Maybe a place I can take the family next year. Have to see if there's a church around for Sunday morning.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home