Monday, November 20, 2006

Time to change up the pre-race routine. I'm just not getting warmed up I guess. The gun went off and I drifted back a little but stayed on the back end of the pack. This week, I wasn't stupidly aggressive in trying to make up for the start and paying for the efforts a little later. Still, my legs had nothing for the first couple laps.

After a while, I felt better and began to move upward. After passing 4 guys, I "dropped" a chain going over the barriers. The third eye kept the chain from actually dropping but it wouldn't engage the chainring again. All my work went out the window as the 4 guys went right past me again.

At least I had the confidence that I was quicker and began picking them off again. Craig proved to be the toughest catch. After finally getting by him, I went down in the second hairpin after the start line. It was a minor incident and I hopped back up pretty quick. Nevertheless, Craig went by me again. The rest of the race was a chase of Craig while getting a little closer to those further ahead.

Approaching the bell lap, I pushed the pace up the road. Craig didn't look smooth over the barriers and I was on his wheel. If I had forced the situation I think I could have squeezed by before the turn. Instead, I decided to let him set the pace and feel the pressure of someone on his wheel. He had a few bike lengths for most of the lap until the long, grassy section leading the to tree stump turn. I was good in that section all day and was right on his wheel. Again, Craig pulled away a little on the quick downhill. Then it was up the road. I closed right up on Craig's wheel again, left turn, then right and up to the barriers. Maybe it was the adrenaline but I didn't hit the barriers that fast all day. I breezed by Craig and ran the bike to the turn instead of risking the uphill remount. It paid off and I cruised across the line ahead of Craig and not all that far behind Patrick.

Ninth place finish. With a clean race I may have caught Patrick, but he had a spill as well. I definitely need to fix the problem of bad legs for the few few laps. Good job by Mike Briner. I'm not sure what changed for him between this year and last but he is quick.

In other news: Today is the birthday of, what I consider one of the most beautiful women in my lifetime. Who, you ask. That would be Mary Collins

Still confused? Unless you are young punk, you do know Mary. You just know her better by her stage and married name. Mary was an icon of the late 70's and early 80's. You are getting old when your childhood fantasies turn 50 yrs old. It does not matter, though. Mary remains incredibly beautiful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Yielding said...

Jim,

Try giving the legs a good stretch aobut 5 to 10 min after you start your warm up... might help.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home