Monday, November 27, 2006

ubba series wrapped up yesterday. It was a pretty typical performance. Warming up on the trainer this week helped a little with the dead leg feeling I have had in recent weeks. It helped enough that I think I will take it to KC this coming weekend.

I got an okay start this week but wasn't real good on the very tight 180 that was at the end of the starting straight. That cost me a spot. Got over the barriers okay and then came the cursed dirt mound. Actually, the mound wasn't SO bad, but I was sub-par in this section just about every lap. The bumpy, dirt approach had me out of sorts all day and caused me to have some clumsy dismounts. Then the grassy section after the mound was terribly bumpy. I would remount and always seemed to be hitting hole after hole and couldn't get pedaling. The last few laps I finally found a smooth-ish groove that worked okay.

Anyway, I lost some more spots on the mound the first time through. That meant it was going to be yet another race of trying to pick up placings the whole race. I did pick up several places in the following laps but about 5 laps in I dropped the chain and promptly gave back about 4 spots. My third-eye is obviously not set up right. That's two weeks in a row.

So, it was back to chasing again. I did get back all who passed me plus a couple others and was closing in on Hemmer in the final laps. He may have been dosing his efforts just to stay ahead. There was a new guy though, who had flown past me about half way through the race. I later came back and left him behind only to have him make a late charge on the last lap. Where did he get me? On the remount section after that damn dirt mound less than 100 ft from the line. Looking back I really should have expended the extra effort to get past the lapped Leistner before the section that followed along the edge of the woods. It's weird because I caught up to him in the exact same place a few weeks back and it nearly cost me that time. I can't say it affected me too much but hindsight makes you kick yourself and regret certain decisions.

Nevertheless, kudos to the guy. He deserved the place. I finished 8th. The dropped chain obviously cost me at least one place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home