Thursday, February 22, 2007

A little catching up is in order. Saturday was cold, snowy, windy and all around unpleasant. A good day for the trainer where I did a number of five minute intervals.

Sunday was chilly but a nice day in general. Giuseppe wanted to hit the hills so we did pretty much same route out to Haute Arete as I rode last weekend. He was moaning about how pitiful he was riding. In reality he was doing okay and just needs some more miles in the hills.

Tuesday was the last Spinning class of the winter. My usual bike was moved a couple classes ago and I picked the bike from hell this week. The resistance pads were touchy and I overcooked it early in the class. After a while I learned how to control that bike better but most of the class was a grind session.

A week or so I had made some "additions" to my bike that will undoubtedly make me faster. Giuseppe didn't notice them so I was tasteful in my changes. And last night, with the race season about to start I put my birthday present from Patrice to good use and added a little more of the "Bettini Touch" to my bike. With that level of gaudiness front and center, I better ride fast.

In other news: Issue #1 - Don't you just hate when you cut a fingernail that wee bit too low and that tender skin underneath is exposed slightly? That's not a good feeling...

Issue #2 - Remember Monty Python's hilarious International Philosphy Match. The Greeks philosophers led by Socrates, Aristotle and Plato play a soccer match against the German philosophers headed up by Hegel and Nietsche and a surprising start by Beckenbauer with Marx coming off the bench.




I couldn't help but think of that skit when I read this AP news story.


ROME -- Italian soccer has not been a pious spectacle of late, with riots and scandals marring a game that is practically a religion here.

Sports officials now hope clergymen from 50 nations can bring back faith to soccer as they take to the field for the first time in a tournament for priests and seminarians kicking off Saturday.

Catholic institutes have entered 16 teams in the Clericus Cup, fielding 311 athletes from countries including the United States, Brazil, Papua New Guinea and Rwanda.

"It's an intelligent initiative which helps give a positive image to sport and especially to soccer," Italian Olympic Committee President Gianni Petrucci said at a presentation of the event today.

Even as Italy's national team was making its successful run for the World Cup last summer, club soccer at home was ravaged by a match-fixing scandal that led to sanctions against several top teams. Earlier this month, rioting at a game in Sicily caused the death of a policeman and forced authorities to take measures, including barring fans from many stadiums.

The Clericus Cup will run through June and most games will be played at a Vatican soccer field in Rome.

The matches will last one hour and rules will differ from professional club soccer. Teams will be allowed one time-out and the referee will brandish a blue card, which will send off errant players for a 5-minute suspension.

"I expect (the tournament) to create a friendly relationship among the players and the teams," said Cameroon's Father Emil Martin, who plays with the team of the Pontifical Urban College. "I hope each one can learn to win but also to lose, because not everybody knows how to lose."


I wonder what Vegas' odds are for the team from the Pontifical Urban College?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rollin' the bling...sweet.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home