Saturday, February 03, 2007

This morning's 19 degree temps with a wind in the teens didn't much appeal to me.  Especially as I reach the end of the head cold that has been plaguing me.  Besides I woke up after 7am and wasn't going to rush to make the ride and then realize I left something at home. 

Instead, I rode the trainer for a couple hours.  The cold, and resulting lack of riding, has had some affects on me.  The legs were decent for about 1:15, but then some of the strength started to fade.  Still, I knocked out a couple hours.  Something to build on.  Hard to believe Froze Toes is three(?) weeks away.  And we have the TTT scheduled for next weekend.  The new season has come around pretty quickly.

While today was cold and miserable it was better than riding the Gavia in '88.  That stage of the Giro is famous for Hampsten's epic ride that ultimately led to his overall victory.  I found this spanish video on Youtube.  It's not about Hampsten, though.  Instead it focuses on the misery of the riders who were struggling.  You see riders off their bikes at the top of the mountain putting on coats, etc. trying to warm up.  At the end, you see a few riders like Caucchioli who like they are about to die and are carried away.  Pretty cool stuff.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home