Monday, January 22, 2007

Friday's plan for an evening trainer ride after being reminded that I had signed up for the Joe Friel Lecture Spectacular at Maplewood. I'm not sure why Mr. Low-Tech (me) planned on going. As expected, discussion tended to focus on power this and heartrate that. Not exactly up my alley. Oh well, a few little tidbits may have been gleaned from the talk.

Saturday was our 2nd attempt at doing the Cat 3 ride in Columbia. Despite the chilly mid-20's temps we ultimately had a nice sized group of seven show up. Actually, it was six people until Giuseppe realized he no shoes to wear. Doh! On the bright side, the depleted ranks of our 8am ride were fortified when Jose and Thomas showed up at 8:10. Cyclists never seem to be the most punctual portion of society.

After a Mule Rd start, we did a few moderately paced loops of rolling terrain between Columbia and Millstadt so that we would always be reasonably close to Columbia. If someone needed to bail out early, it would be easy enough. Wouldn't you know, on the second loop Jose popped a spoke. I handed over a map and he headed back to town with Aaron and Glen.

When we got back, Giuseppe's car was in the parking lot. I had a hunch that he would be on the flats and probably getting close to returning. This was a good excuse for some extra miles so I headed out, with Thomas in tow, along the flats averaging about 33-34kmh. Sure enough, we crossed paths with Giuseppe up along 255. We stopped for a little refueling and finished up the loop. I'm not sure where the wind came from but it was tough going on the way back to Bluff Rd. A little too tough, so I backed off the pace.

We didn't get the 4-6 inches of predicted snow Saturday night. But, we got enough that I stayed off the wet roads. It was trainer time again for 2:15.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home