Monday, January 15, 2007

Weekend roundup: Saturday was supposed to be the first Shark 3's pedal-fest. As the week went on, the weather predictions got nastier and uglier but I planned route would have kept us pretty close to Columbia in case the weather turned ugly. Not surprisingly, the weatherman's forecast proved to be more alarming than reality. The temps were right at freezing and it was rainy. The roads seemed safe enough and we probably could have done a ride. It would have been very unpleasant, though. Several people were opting out and no one seemed very intent on riding. When push came to shove I decided to stay warm and dry inside.

As punishment for my lack of toughness, I pounded out a good three hours on the trainer. The time actually went faster than I expected. Three hours of watching Heras dancing up mountains in the '03 Vuelta seemed to work well. I was not too sad to climb out of the saddle, though.

On Sunday, the legs were a little fatigued. When I first started I thought of only doing 45 min, then an hour and finally settled on an hour and a half. I was satisfied with the my determination and not quitting so early. Mentally, I am in a good place right now. It is mid-January and my motivation is good. My knee is bugging me a little but I am wanting to ride. I normally start the year in pretty good shape but I think the trip to Italy is providing some extra motivation to be prepared in late May for big mountains.

While I was happy with a reasonably productive weekend on the trainer, I was no match for this fellow. From Cyclingnews...
An Illinois man may have ridden his way into the Guinness Book of World Records, but he didn't ride anywhere. Instead, 49 year old George Hood spent 85 hours on a stationary bike at a Burr Ridge, Illinois sports club in an attempt to have his name written into the book. The record still needs to be certified by the Guinness book officials, but his mark surpasses the previous record of 82 hours.

Hood was allowed a five minute break every for every hour of riding, and took a few naps during his record ride, but was still dangerously fatigued at the end of his ride, and was taken to hospital as a precaution after he climbed off the bike.

Obviously, Guinness has not been made aware of Justin Massivecarbonexcess' exploits. Twice a month, Justin manages to ride for 85 hrs during a standard 48 hr weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home