Sunday, February 25, 2007

Saturday morning's cool, damp weather caused me to bail out of the Columbia ride and ride the trainer as a tune up for today's Froze Toes. Or should I say, the planned Froze Toes.

Saturday evening I checked email and there is a message saying Columbia had a 1/2" of sleet and that the race has been delayed a week. Then I go to Stlbiking and the cover page says this...
FROZE TOES ROAD RACE
POSTPONED
UNTIL MARCH 4TH
Due to Weather Conditions
Due to the forecast of 1" of wet snow and 30 mph winds Julie Hall and the Columbia Bicycle Club are postponing Froze Toes until Sunday March 4th.


Did they really get a half inch of sleet as the email stated? Columbia did get 1.25 inches of rain. The low temp for the day was 37, however. I can't imagine a half inch of sleet with a low temp of 37. And, even if it did, it would not last.

That brings us to today's forecast. The low is supposed to be right about freezing, maybe as low as 30, with some light snow at 8am. By race time it is supposed to 35 and cloudy. When the races end around 2pm, the temps are supposed to be 38. There are no weather advisories for Columbia at all except for a flash flood alert that wouldn't affect the race.

Granted, I'm not in Columbia and don't know exactly what the conditions are like but from what I can tell it looks to me like they wussed out. Not because the conditions were unraceable but with the hopes of nicer weather and better attendance. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Cancelling the race so late though is problematic. I wonder how many people are not going to know about the cancellation and drive up to Columbia this morning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its just weather.wrong isn't right

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home