Monday, April 23, 2007

This morning there are more parts of my body that hurt than parts that feel good.  For several weeks my riding has been limited.  That was laziness on my part, plain and simple.  My fitness maintained a reasonable level but I realized that I needed to pick up the pace and familiarize my body with riding almost everyday or I will be a sobbing mass of goo in Italy. 
 
With that in mind, the five days of riding this week was good.  Tuesday's race was okay, at best, but I felt good about the Wed, Fri and Sat rides.  The body didn't recover well from Saturday's effort, though, and I paid for it.  I wasn't awful but when the road tilted up to more than about 5-6% the legs had very little power to give and I would drift off the back.  I drank much better on Sunday but still fought off some periodic cramping for almost half the ride.  The two consecutive days of cramping must be the source of my muscle soreness.  The sore lower back is just my typical weak lower back feeling the effort of the last few days.
-----------------
The heavy equipment has been moved in to remove snow on the Stelvio.  Heavy tractors and other smaller vehicles and cars were at the summit today.  Much of the top is cleared away and the road up from Bormio is clear.  That would explain the couple cars up there.  Duh!  The eastern slope still appears to be covered but I have to believe they will start clearing that soon enough.
-----------------
So, the first big construction of the I-64 rebuild started Friday night when they tore down the Tamm Ave. overpass.  Apparently, there are many people oblivious of what is going on around them and still tried to use that stretch of highway on Saturday and were then routed into a detour and a big traffic backup. 
 
A couple tips to those motorists.  First, turn off your Ipods and detach the cell phone from ears and you might actually learn what's going on around you.  You might even learn that the highway was going to be shut down so you could plan your route accordingly.  Second, you are not obligated to follow like lemmings the detour route set by MoDOT and get stuck in big traffic jams.  As one citizen noted on the Ch 2 news Saturday, "What these people don't realize is that if they would just go a couple blocks away they could avoid all this."  Stop using common sense, sir. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home