Monday, October 29, 2007

A couple nights ago I was lying in bed and listening to the radio.  The announcer mentioned the well known Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.  A light bulb went on in my head.  Certainly there is someone in cycling that is the equivalent of Kevin Bacon. 
 
Actually, there are probably several candidates.  However, my mind was in a sarcastic mood and thought who could be the doping equivalent of Kevin Bacon.  The key was to find someone that has never actually been implicated in a doping scandal.  A shining beacon with troubled seas all around him.  Except you have the sneaking suspicion that things are quite what they seem.  After a few minutes thought, the obvious person came to mind.
 
I present to you a new game.  Six Degrees of Doping with Johan Bruyneel.  Obviously, this game most likely will not work with some domestic US rider or Pablo Hernandez from Uruquay.  But, in terms of the Euro Pro scene, I think I have always been able to make a connection with the cases I have tried.  A lot of the cases are simple because of the direct connection.  Heras, Landis, etc are one degree examples. 
 
Richard Virenque would have two degrees of connection with Bruyneel. 
Johan coached Boonen. 
Boonen was Virenque's teammate at QuickStep. 
 
Yes, I know.  Boonen wasn't a teammate of Virenque when he got busted but that's not the point.
 
After toying with just the dopers for a while I think a six degree connection could be between Johan almost all cyclists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home