Monday, November 12, 2007

Twenty-four hours after Bubba CX #5 it is dark, dreary and steadily raining.  Conditions that people have been wanting for several years now.  While there is a certain fascination with a CX slop-fest there is a benefit to not turning a public park into a mud pit.
 
Yesterday's race was at Jefferson Barracks, probably my favorite race venue.  The rolling hills make for a challenging course with many possible layouts.  The temperatures were a warm mid-60s and sunny.  Nice conditions.  I was actually into racing this weekend and took a nice 2nd row starting spot.  The whistle blew and I held my place pretty well.  A few people passed me and I passed a few.  After a couple laps I settled into a good rhythm and began pulling back some of the faster starters and leaving them behind. 
 
The leaders had no reason to feel threatened but I was going well and still gaining on a few others when I came around a hairpin at the top of the course.  The bike felt odd and the next left felt even stranger.  Sure enough, my rear tire had flatted.  Without a wheel in the pits, the flat had put paid to my race.
 
Assuming I had kept my position, it seems that I would have finished 10th or 11th.  Not outstanding but I really did feel good and have some enthusiasm for the coming races.  A late peak is as good a time as any. 
 
Strange occurence of the day:  A deer jumping out of the woods and knocking Rich Pierce off his bike.
Not so strange occurence:  Nolan crashing out


Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks & Treats for You! Get 'em!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for Nolan!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home