Monday, March 24, 2008

A handy group of eight of us showed up for Saturday's ride in IL.  There was much grumbling about the mid 30 temperatures after three straight sunny and successively warmer days.  Throw in the stiff wind and most of us were probably a little surly under our jovial exteriors. 
 
As soon as we left the parking lot, the pace quickened and then settled down as the winds took a toll.  I rolled to the front to give a break to those that had been in the wind.  I'm not sure how, but I looked back after a minute or two and there was a decent sized gap for some reason, so I sat up.  Maybe that unintentionally lit the blue touch paper because what followed was a series of 3 or 4 attacks that were dropping people and leaving the rest gasping for some air before we finally settled into a more sensible rhythm.  It was fun in an "I hate you and want to pummel your face...  Let's do it again." kind of way.
 
The remainder of the trip south was restrained except for the efforts needed to get through the occasional crossind sections of road.  As we reached Rte 156, Patrice rolled off the front a little in anticipation of the sprint to Harrisonville.  Unfortunately, I think we were the only two who were aware of the city limit sign.  He had a nice gap before I had cleared the unsuspecting riders and turned onto 156.  I mentioned to Aaron that there was a city limit sign and he got on my wheel, I guess.  To be honest, I never looked back and just started winding up the pace in what was a futile attempt to shut down Patrice before Harrisonville.  I did start gaining ground, however.  Patrice looked back a few times to see where I was.  My progress encouraged me to shift to a bigger gear and the gap shrunk steadily.  Frankly, I don't think Patrice was fully committed because I had no business gaining ground the way I was.  On the other hand, it's not like Patrice to not give full effort for a city limit.  Anyway, I made the catch shortly before the sign and then expected Aaron to come around and pip me at the line.  That never happened though.  Even today I am not sure what to make of that effort.  It felt good though.
 
Our return trip was full of delicious headwind.  The wind gave us a nice chance to work on some pacelining since we were more than willing to go to the front and peel off. 
 
After returning to Columbia, four of us headed out for a second, but different, loop that went north to start.  We were rather restrained on this loop.  The only obstacle of the day was the climb up Cement Haul Rd.  I set a basic tempo and felt comfy.  The comfort was the best part of the day's ride.  After several tweaks, I think I finally dialed in my setup.  My body was not stretched, squatting or scrunched.  Everything felt just about right.


Watch "Cause Effect," a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Make of that effort what it was. You closed a huge gap on Patrick, and rode me off of your wheel in the process ;-)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home