Thursday, July 10, 2008

My humble return to the Tues Nite Worlds went reasonably well.  After hearing reports of very hard races in the last couple weeks, I started with low expectations.  My hope was to not get dropped and, if possible, work on sitting further up in the pack.  Thankfully, this weeks race started at a moderate pace and I plopped myself near the front and stayed toward the front for much of the race.  Half an hour into the race, the dark storm clouds began to roll in.  I gave two seconds thought to launching an attack in the hope that a deluge would hit while I was in front and the race would be cancelled with me in front.  Then I came to my senses that I am completely incapable of staying off the front for even a lap.  As the race wound down, I started getting lazy and drifting backward and, after two pretty hard laps, I nearly got dropped 43 minutes into the race.  The pace eased and caught back on.  By the last lap, I was running low on energy and just let the pack ride away instead of killing myself trying to hang on.  All things considered, I was satisfied.
 
A few raindrops fell on the last lap and the wind began to blow hard.  It was obvious we were going to get hit by a big storm.  I wasted no time in getting to the car and loading up the bike.  As I drove away, the rain began to pour down.  We were very lucky to squeeze the race in.

Last night I did a couple hours on the trainer in a desperate attempt to get some good rides in before setting off for 160 miles on Saturday.


The i'm Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home