Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I can't let the year end without


I cannot let the year end without commenting on what was the "Ideal Gift" for Christmas.  And, if Rapha says it is ideal, they mean that it is ideal for putting an unreasonable dent your credit card bill.  This year's ideal gift, according to their completely unbiased website, was the Essentials Case. 

 

It really is amazing how a single letter can change the meaning of a word.  Take the "S" in Essentials, as an example.  This zippered bad may carry essentials for riding.  An inner tube, levers, CO2, etc.  However, I can't help but think Rapha would like you to remove the "S" and think the bag itself is essential.

 

Personally, I have never had a problem with using a jersey pocket to carry my essentials.  It seems to me, that is why we have pockets on jerseys.  They are not there for their good looks.  But, hey, that's just me.  I have even less problems using a jersey pocket or bike bag when I see that Rapha is charging it's typically outrageous price of $55 for a 4"x6" zippered bag.  Why $55?  Well, it has a zipper on two, yes TWO, sides.  I know that is impressive but it also has the words Bon Courage written on the bag.  That seals the deal for me.  I'm ordering five of them.

 

When I first saw the Essentials Bag, the first thing that came to mind was toe clippers.  That may seem strange but my dear, departed mother made a leather bag for holding nail clippers about 25 years ago.  Oddly enough, her bag was also 4"x6".  And, as a bonus, her bag had a zipper was on THREE sides.  Heck, with some nice photography and some flowery, self-important verbage, she probably could have sold this bag for $65.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home