Thursday, February 03, 2005

Got busy with other stuff today and didn't get around to riding. Maybe I will spin a little tomorrow to get the cobwebs out of the legs before the weekend.

Background: It was suggested that I write how I became a Cat 3. That will take a little thinking but I will try to put to some thoughts together in a somewhat concise format.

News Item of the Day: Italian sprint stallion Mario Cipollini won Stage 4 of the Tour of Qatar Thursday, a 169 km haul between Al Zubarah and Doha. "Super Mario" edged out Belgian Tom Boonen and Aart Vierhouten of the Netherlands in the sprint fisticuff as Dane Lars Michaelsen maintained the overall race lead.

Aged 37, Cipollini proved Thursday that his sprint pistons still have some punch, particularly after a 2004 cycling season that systematically saw Cipo relegated in finish-line fisticuffs by cycling's dominate sultan of sprints Alessandro Petacchi, also of Italy. "I'm very motivated, I have a terrific team and I'll be racing in the best possible of conditions," Cipollini said of his prospects for the 2005 season at the presentation ceremony of his Liquigas team last month.

"I will race Milan-San Remo, where I will go up against Petacchi for the first time this season," Cipollini added. Following the Milan-San Remo super classic, Cipollini will "take a little look" at the Ghent-Wevelgem semi-classic before targeting multiple stage wins at the Giro d'Italia.

Thursday's stage triumph at the Tour of Qatar was the 165th of Cipollini's career.

Viewpoint: The key stage of the Tour of Langkawi is fast approaching and Tom Danielson is in 8th place. There are a couple decent climbers about 30 seconds ahead. I want to see what he can pull off on the climb of the Genting Highlands. I think it will be a good test of what he might be able to do in the Giro.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Maybe you should do a whole background series on your racing experiences which includes how you progressed from a beginner to a cat 3.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home