Thursday, February 24, 2005

Trainer time tonight. Only an hour but it was a good effort. After a 10 minute warmup I did a 15 minute interval in the 53x18 followed by another 15 minutes in the 53x15. To finish things off was a 5-minute in the 53x17 and then a short cool down.

Background: The winter of '92-'93 saw me finally muster up the initiative to go to a Rockits team meeting and sign up to race the next year. My first race as a categorized rider was a one time race on Kaskaskia Island near Ste Genevieve. The day was marked by two obstacles. One was a very strong wind and the second was high water from the Mississippi that covered just a small section of road. 1993 of course was the year of the Great Flood and this was the early stages of that flood which only a couple months later swallowed the island. I finished third that day but it was a rag-tag field of competitors. Still I was confident afterward.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until two and a half years later, near the end of the '95 season that I managed to not get pulled from a crit. Looking back I am surprised I kept racing but I suppose there were small amounts of progress and the few road races that you didn't get pulled that kept me going. There were also a few good teammates that were always letting me get dragged around on training rides.

That first finished crit changed things. From then on, it became much easier to finish a race. There were still the occasional bad days but it became the exception. You start to look back and wonder why it was so hard before.

News Item of the Day: The forecast for the centre of Belgium this Saturday is for a cold winter's day with temperatures ranging between 0 and 3 degrees (celsius). It will stay mostly dry but some local snowfall is possible. This, for both Het Volk and Kuurne, will suit riders with a bit of meat on them.

Viewpoint: It must be Springtime in Belgium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home