Sunday, February 20, 2005

The three musketeers, Mark, Patrick and I, were again the only ones not scared off by the possible rain in the forecast. We've had an unusual amount of days this winter with southerly winds and today was no different. After heading to the JB Bridge and turning south, the riding got tough. We were taking fairly long pulls and they created a certain level of discomfort. Patrick needed to leave early today so he pulled off after 30-35 minutes leaving Mark and I to battle wind. We each took one more long pull. At the next turn in the course I suggested we take only minute pulls at the front. I think it was a good move and saved us from really working ourselves into exhaustion. We reached Maeystown in about 1:45 but we knew going back would be nice with the tailwind.

Was it ever nice. The sun came out, the air began to warm and we had that sweet tailwind. Once we turned north we were going 29mph with little effort. We kept the pace pretty high. After crossing the main road that leads into Valmeyer the tempo picked up. After a while I looked over at Mark's computer. 32mph and I had plenty yet to give. What a feeling. Mark eventually began to feel the pace and tucked in behind me. We backed off in a few places to the upper 20's as Mark's legs got heavier but I would kick it up again. Our avg speed kept going up and up. I joked we could get it up real quick if we upped the speed to 40. Mark said maybe I could but he couldn't. The urge was too great and I let it loose for a few hundred meters. Did I reach 40? That's when I wish I had a computer on my bike but I was moving and it was easy.

In the end it turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day for riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home