Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Giro della Montagna was on tap today. But first was the team picture in Forest Park this morning. The usual stuff went on there. The 9am sharp photo shoot was at 9:10. Turnout was a little disappointing but that is okay. The others are not photogenic enough anyway. They might scare away sponsors. :)

Back to the "racing". I managed to snag a decent start spot in the 3rd row. At the sound of the whistle, I promptly slid to the back of the pack in record time. Not quite, but I lost a lot of places. The schmuck in front of me on the line didn't help. The cleat on the shoe goes in the pedal, fella. I actually did okay during the race but never really made any move to the front. Riders were shot off the back but I consistently maintained spot near back, with the occasional BIG move forward to the middle of the pack. There seemed to be only one crash. The accident was in turn one and had almost no effect on me since I happened to be on the inside as the victims were up on the outside curb. I dangled off the back of the pack for the last two laps. I would close back in at a few of the turns and then get separated again but in the end was off the back again by just a little bit. I'm not pleased with my performance but it went okay and gives me some reason to want to race tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, that was my teammate Andy Hunsaker who couldn't get clipped in!! Trust me, I was shocked as well losing about 40 spots in 10 seconds! Either way tho... I don't think it changed the end result of the race for me = DNF. I was having trouble in those corners today. Also, Greg Giraud totally cut me off in corner 3 at the top of the hill. I was hoping the breakaway of Rusty Pessalato and Justin Maceikowicz would stick, but alas, it came down to the usual field sprint.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I dont remember the guy being a Wizard rider but maybe it was. I'm not blaming the guy that much. I lost as many places all on my own.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home