Thursday, September 22, 2005

I continue my time off the bike as the body gets softer and doughier. Saturday marks three weeks to the start of 'cross season. I figure it might be time to end the comfortable life and start the process of getting back in shape.

News Item of the Day: Michael Rogers won the TT at the World Championships for the third year in a row. Looking at the results I can't help but think that the Worlds need to be moved back to August. The fields always seem to be lacking in names, particularly in the TT. Take Kashechkin and Candellara for example. The finished 6th and 3rd at Worlds. They were 20th and 21st in the Tour's final TT. I guess you could argue that they had nothing to race for at that point. Let's look at the first TT. They were 66th and 7th. I guess you could argue the other way too and say Vino only got 5th at Worlds and finished 3rd at the Tour's first TT. Still, which top 10 is more impressive? Zabriskie, Armstrong, Vinokourov, Hincapie, Bodrogi, Landis, Cancellara, Voigt, Karpets and Gonzalez de Galdeano OR Rogers, Gutierrez, Plaza, Vinokourov, Kashechkin, Wiggins, Lang, Medici and Pena.

Discovery lost two riders to Phonak today. They lost McCarty (young but not a huge loss at this stage of his career) and Hesjedal (still youngish and a serviceable rider in the Giro this year). I wonder who Bruyneel will find to fill those spots. They are not big names so the replacements will probably be similar guys. Guys that can be nurtured a little and be brought along and used in the occasional race to fill some spots.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw that. I've ridden twice since Gateway. I'm loving it.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Ah but the mighty Klages is a cross master. He must race the series.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Jacquemaert...enjoy the snugger fit of your dungarees...I sure am!

I ain't racin' no cx (though if I had a bike or the extra 500 bones, I would be), plus I'm about to enjoy my first donut in over a year! I did break down last night and eat an entire large bowl of fresh fruit, but I'll be looking to get back on the "things I don't eat for 11.5 months of the year" menu for lunch...anything new at Steak 'n' Shake I need to try? ;)

Funniest thing is that I am reading everything I can on the use of various supplements by endurance athletes (herbs, vitamins, BCAAs, etc.) while eating the most crap food I can...oooh, which reminds me that I need to pick up some Twinkies! ;)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home