Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jan Ullrich is probably talking to the German government about launching another invasion of France. He had to think his chances of finally capturing a second Tour victory went up dramatically with Armstrong's retirement this year. Then, the French press piss off Armstrong and make him consider yet another TdF so as to stuff a baguette up where the French sun don't shine. An invasion would not be be too expensive. Based on the last 20 years all that is needed is a multi-national force of approximately 190 cyclists and France will roll over in defeat yet again.

I mentioned Thursday that I had purchased a new drink mix and was going to use it during the Cup. I used the drink all four days and was happy enough with the product than I'm willing to give it a mention. I caution, however, that I do not a great deal of experience with other drink mixes and I would still like to test it on a long ride before giving a full endorsement. The product is Gookinaid. The product name is not terribly catchy but the developer was a distance runner named Bill Gookin.

I purchased a few pouches ($1 each) of the citrus flavor. Each pouch makes 1 quart (32 oz). Gookinaid also makes a more economical 80 serving container that I saw online for about $11. The catch is that a serving is 8 oz. So, one container would make about 24 of the larger 24 oz bottles I use. Not cheap, but in the ballpark of other drinks. The one thing that was most noticeable, at least with the citrus flavor, is that it did not have the sweetness that I associate with the other drinks I have tried. It actually had a lemonade-like taste with a LITTLE bit of tartness. Decent stuff.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

"Eating to build muscle"? How ironic! I race bikes to eat! Sedentary folks shouldn't put away PB & Nutellas, but I sure do!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Furthermore, the map on the Gookinade website's store locator page looks like something they stole from a grade school in the 70's!

I'll have to check it out...I usually homebrew my own, but I'll give this a shot.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Dude, you are getting the spam treatment. What a drag. My preferred drink for racing is Clif Shots energy drink. It's got caffine in it. Seems to work ok.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home