Monday, September 05, 2005

We closed out the Gateway Cup today. I went into today wanting to contribute in some small way to the team unlike the last couple days. Like yesterday, I got a pretty good starting spot but this time I was more aggressive. Once we got through the first couple turns I saw that Peder H had gone on an early attack. Normally I wouldn't bother with such a move but if I was going to do some work I might as well do it now. I stayed to the inside and powered past the pack in pursuit of Peder. Another rider hooked onto my wheel. While I couldn't shut Peder down right away I kept him close. The second time up the backstretch, he faded. Just as I caught him others then came around. I rested a bit and then moved up near the front again. After the initial sorting out, a group of seven riders got away and the pack was either unable or unwilling to bring them back. I was a little gassed and didn't quite have the strength to help in the pursuit. One time, I made an effort to get up front but as I got about 2/3 through the pack the lead riders picked up the pace. From then I was hanging on. Five laps to go and the backside caused me to get gapped slightly. The next time, the gap was greater and it was clear I wasn't getting back on. As I came around for three laps to go, the officials pulled me. At first, I couldn't believe it but then remembered the seven breakaway riders. So my Cup ended with a DNF but without the breakaway I think I would have finished. I go away knowing I did some work today even if it wasn't vital to success.

Thus ends the road season... probably. I can't decide whether to race Olney or not. The odd thing about having a race like Gateway Cup end the season is that you are good and tired afterward and ready to end the season. Yet, you are probably in the best condition of the season and you wish you could take better advantage of the shape you are in.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Well, what a nice reward for all your Gateway Cup reports. Your first case of blog comment spam.

Despite my fears, I still have not recieved any blog comment spam.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Good reports though Jim. Sounds like you had a somewhat better weekend than me! Check out Heloscan if you want a better comment system.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Re: Olney...I was so excited when the race was over on Monday, cuz I was burnt!!!!! Actually, I wasn't too excited outwardly cuz I was so tired, but inside I was relieved!

Anyhoo, I can't pull the plug now as this [sadly] is the first decent form I've had all season (no colds or stomach flu for months!!!). I'm off to Olney for a grand finish, save for driving up to Champaign to put the whoop on those folks in their Wed. Night training races. ;)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home