Friday, January 20, 2006

Now that Google created a Mac version of GoogleEarth I have played around the program a little. First I checked out a few things like my brother's house, his work and a couple of the programs saved locations like the Eiffel Tower. Then I had to try and find some of the mountains in France. Alpe d'Huez was a challenge since the town at the base was not listed as Bourg d'Oisans. I had to start in Grenoble and find find the road that leads the mountains. I didn't have a good handle on scale and before long I was in western Italy. I headed back west and found Briancon. Once there I knew I could follow the road east and it would lead right to Alpe d'Huez. That worked and I found the Google lists the town as just Oisans. The road up was pretty obvious though and interesting to see.

From the Galibier was an obvious choice since it is between Briancon and Oisans. I'll tell you, I wondered if I was looking at the right place because it was very unimpressive. I rotated to the other side of the mountain and it became more apparent but still you would never guess the difficulty.

Next was Ventoux. I searched for Bedoin. Bam! There was the mountain. They actually had the mountain labeled but even so it's easy to spot that lone mountain rising out of the flatlands around it. Ventoux looked impressive.

Next, I tried to find the Col d'Aubisque. I was unsuccesful. A couple of the towns nearby were easy enough but nothing looked like it went up a mountain. Odd stuff. The next day I remembered the town right at the base, Laruns. Only then did I follow a road that went up what I assume was the Aubisque.

It seems like mountains would stick out more. Why did I struggle so much up those molehills? But, it you really want unimpressive check out tough local climbs like Wedde Rd or the last hill on Old Lemay Ferry. Good lord, it looks as flat as a pool table.

Weight: 154.3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home