Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I blew off Tuesday Worlds tonight. I was running late this evening and while I could have rushed and probably made it to Carondelet by 6pm, my desire to race was not strong enough to make me run around pinning numbers, changing clothes, filling water bottles, loading the bike in the car, etc. Yes, I didn't plan ahead.

Spent some time at work today looking at Italy. A year ago I did this and felt it was time to continue my research. I am getting preliminary ideas as to where I'd like to go, checking possible hotels and seeing where the mountains I'd like to ride are located. One thing I found is that the hotel rates in the mountain towns are much cheaper in the spring and summer. Nice! Obviously they rely on the winter ski season for their main business. For example, one hotel was about 125-135 euros in winter but was only 60-80 in spring and summer.

Right now I'm looking at four regions. Cinque Terre looks beautiful but I'm not sure about the riding yet. Everybody talks about Tuscany so thats a possibility although I get the feeling from some reading that it's somewhat overrun by tourists. The Veneto region is supposed to be great riding with plains and rolling hills to the south and sitting at the base of the Dolomites. And finally, I'd like to get into the heart of the Dolomites and Alps. I've done most of the famous French climbs. Now the Italian climbs need to be conquered. The Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo are definite ones I'd like to ride. After that, there are any number of climbs (Pordoi, Fedaia, Capolongo, Duran, San Pellegrino, etc) that can be tackled along the way.

Back to dreaming...

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I blew TNWs last night too. Did a hard workout in the morning and just didn't have much juice left for the evening. Crashed and watched idol.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

TNW ruled...y'all missed out...whatevs.

Cinque Terre seems amazing. Not sure about the riuding, though it seems like some Pro is from there, or at least a few Ks east...if I think of him, I'll let you know.

Tuscany is great...overrun with tourists, yes, but who cares. Go to Cortona, home of "overrun with tourists", or any other hill city, and find some great riding.

We were in Bellagio for a few days and saw some local Pros meeting up for a ride one morning...great food (I ate Agoni, a fish which only lives in Lake Como while there...the restaurant owner's brother fishes them), great riding, and great people.

Probably any of the towns on Como are good...the ferries make it easy to get around.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home