Sunday, May 07, 2006

Raced Apple Pie yesterday as a Master. The other option was the 1/2/3 race but the 3's were being scored seperately and I really dislike that scoring method. In my humble view, it takes away any race tactics that may normally take place and it becomes a race to see who can hang the longest with the 1/2's when they put the hammer down. The other good thing about the Masters was doing only three laps. It fit better into my schedule and, as a bonus, might leave my legs a little fresher for today.

Twenty-eight riders started. Roughly 53 of the 28 riders were from VeloForce and Mack. Actually, Mack had 5(?) and VeloForce 6 or 7. Only Buckley and myself were there Sharks. Lap 1 was uneventful with the exception of Russ suddenly putting a helmet into the shoulder of Kent Jones and damn near taking down Kent. I'm not sure what that was all about so I won't pass judgment but, from about 10 ft behind it looked like a boneheaded move.

Shortly after the second lap started. Two guys attacked and built a gap with two more bridging up quickly. Mack, V-Force, Clubbers and ICCC were all represented leaving few teams to work. No one seemed all that concerned to I attacked in the hope of bridging but also to animate the pack. I got reeled in eventually. The blocking from the others teams began. Buckley, Russ, Ghisallo man, Team Z dude and myself would go up front to lift the tempo there was always a V-Force or Mack up there to break up whatever chase may have been happening. The gap was 2 minutes after lap 2.

Lap 3 was more animated as the attacks and counters came quite often. Four more riders eventually got away between turns 1 and 2. I had been pretty active before that and couldn't respond to those counters. I continued to try small attacks on the back side. Not sure why. The race was basically over. I guess I held out small hope of at least catching the 2nd group of four. I finally blew up for short while just before turn 3 but stayed close. At that point my legs just couldn't close the gap and I drifted a little further back. I wasn't too concerned since all the money was gone.

Bad stuff: Missed the break
Good stuff: I rode fairly aggressively

Sunday is my first time doing the Cougar Crit in Edwardsville.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home