Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tues Nite Worlds were unspectacular for the most part.  After the initial pacesetting the race settled down and a group of about eight started to open a gap fairly early in the race.  The size of the group looked promising so I tried to bridge up.  If I had any kind of a jump I would have been across in no time.  Instead, it turned into a 2/3 lap slog up to the tail of the group.  I sat on, trying to recover, while some of the others took turns at the front.  A few laps later we were caught and I settled into the group again. 

Not much later another group rolled off with a few others making the bridge up.  I chose the wrong frickin' group because this one stayed away.  The rest of the race I didn't try anything and just put in some miles.  Joe was slumming in our group and saying how tired he was.  He had to be bluffing and I figured it would be good to try and give him a nice pull with a little over a lap to go and let him take over from there.  Of course, I didn't communicate this to him. 

At the base of the hill before the bell lap I moved past Joe on the right and motioned to get on my wheel.  I looked back and he gave this look like "I'm not working tonight".  Maybe he was tired.after all.  There was no point in wasting my momentum so I went ahead with my attack.  In an incredible and totally understandable display of indifference toward my ability to last a lap alone, nobody followed my attack so it was a question of whether I could last.  I felt good for most of the lap but sensed someone coming at the bottom of the hill but did not look back, preferring to keep my head down and pedal.  Martel came by at the top with a couple Mesa's but that was it.  I'm sure the others didn't have a great interest in fighting for nothing but I felt it was a good attack. 

Random thoughts: 

Why does FDJeux insist on switching to white shorts for the grand tours?

Is there a country that has a flag with the color orange?

Now that I think of it, does any flag have purple?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bhutan has half of their flag orange, and Zambia is mostly orange.

No flag has purple in it that I know of.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

The Republic of Ireland has orange in it.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Google further reveals the following countries with orange in their flag:
Bhutan, Niger, Ivory Coast, the former Free State of South Africa, and Zambia (it's very in in Africa!).

purple flags:
Burundi flag from 1959-1961, Second Spanish Republic (1931-1939), and while it's not a country, the Anarcha-Feminism flag is purple and black...whatevs!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home