Friday, June 13, 2008

Pretty much everyone who rides a bike is aware of Mont Ventoux as an epic climb. I have been fortunate enough to climb the beast twice. The second time was in warm conditions. The first time was in very cool and windy conditions on the upper half of the mountain. My first time up the mountain was an ascent that caused my eyes to well up with emotion.

As amazing a climb as the Ventoux is, that descent from my first time up the mountain remains probably my most memorable desecnt. As I said before the mountain is a famous climb but the descent back into the town of Bedoin is 'trop bon'. The features of the climb that make it so difficult, long relatively straight roads without hairpin turns to take the sting out of the mountain, are what make it a blast to descend.

On the way down, there are a few good turns, but no hairpins, for the first five or so km's down to Chalet Reynard. You will know Chalet Reynard in the video by the wide area with cars parked in it. Below Chalet Reynard, the road is a gently winding road that lets even a non-crazy descender like myself to scrub a little speed in the turns but generally let the bike go and build up the speed. Ventoux is a GREAT mountain to descend. Enjoy the full length video of an almost complete descent to the town of Bedoin.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home