Saturday, February 27, 2010

Into the unknown

Nearly six months have passed since my last road race. Cross season came and went last fall. The winter off-season has been cold and unpleasant. But, tomorrow,the 2010 season kicks with the traditional Froze Toes road race just east of Columbia.

Tomorrow marks the start of my 18th season of racing. Looking back, it does not seem that long ago until I begin to think about all the people who have come and gone through the years.

This afternoon I finally got around to renewing my licenses. For good measure, I filled the Rider Release form so I don't have to deal with that hassle at the registration table tomorrow morning.

The first race of the year always piques my curiosity. Who will have switched teams? Who will have made a big improvement during the off-season? Is that improvement real or have they only come into the season on good form? And, on a personal level, it is always good to see old, familiar faces again, exchange a few stories and take part in the age old ritual of downplaying your fitness, even if you are crazy strong and plan on going attacking ten miles from the finish.

Tomorrow, I will be toeing the line around noon in chilly temperatures, but good weather. I will be racing Masters. I have grown tired of the typically passive Cat 3/4 race at Froze Toes that ends with 50 guys wanting to sprint on a one lane finish area.

Let's hope the season gets off to an encouraging start.

Today also marked the start of the professional road season. Sure, there has been the Tours Down Under, Qatar, Oman, Haut Var, Algarve and various other smaller races. But, in my mind, the season starts in Belgium and today the cobbles returned with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (I still call it Het Volk). From what I have read it was a good aggressive race and it was good to see John Tony Flecha finally get a win after a number of close calls in recent years.

The best part of Flecha winning is the return of the best victory salute in cycling. Flecha celebrates as if he is shooting an arrow. The celebration is unique and meaningful, since Flecha means arrow. Congratulations, John Tony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home