Tuesday, February 08, 2005

One of my basic rules of life is to not talk too much about an upcoming event until it is about to happen. It has always seemed that when I do, something happens to prevent it from happening. As if talking about it, curses you. As luck would have it, my opportunity came to ride in Etape du Tour and I talked about it. Sure enough, there is a definite possibility that I won't be able to go.

The organizers require a medical authorization from your doctor before you can ride so I went to the doc today. It's been a long time since I've been to the doctor. Like a lot of younger guys I haven't bothered because I feel fine. So, the first thing he does is check the blood pressure and he doesn't like it at 140/90. That is high and it surprised me because last night, out of curiosity, I checked it on a home tester and it was like 120/78. He says he won't sign it with a pressure like 140/90 and he tries a couple more times and then on the right arm. All the same reading. Just for the heck of it he uses the unit for obese people (bigger arm sleeve) and he comes up with 130/80 and he had a puzzled look and did it again with the same reading. That calmed his fears a little and I think he will sign it with that reading.

Then he listens to my heart with a stethoscope. Everything is good at first and then he moves to the upper part of the heart and says "uh oh. I think I hear a little heart murmur." That's just great. So now I have to have an echo-cardiogram on Monday and I still don't have clearance for do Etape.

I am somewhat bummed out right now. I am a little angry, a little nervous and frustrated among other things. Plus, he wants a blood test. This just really sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Jim,
Let me know if you want to try another doc. I have a good one I have been going to for the past 2 years.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home