Sunday, October 16, 2005

They shoot horses don't they?

I drove down to Carbondale for the first race of the Bubba series. I was running a little behind schedule but got there about 45 before race time. I got off to an okay start and we had a good group still together after one lap with one rider off the front a little. The second lap saw me fade a little but settled in pretty well and for the next few laps and was having a good battle with Kent. On the 4th? lap I went down on a left hand turn with Kent right on my wheel. He avoided me well. I fell with some force and jammed my left ankle and banged my knee. By the time I got up, Jeff had barely snuck by me as well. I gathered myself and stuck to Jeff's wheel as I got my bearings again. A few hundred feet later I just completed another left hand bend. Something happened but I have no idea what. Suddenly I was launched through air and came down hard on my right side. My thigh and shoulder took the brunt of the force but my head bounced off the grass too. I was dazed. Butthead and a couple others (Dr Mark?) were warming up and came over to see how I was. After that blow I had no ambition to continue on. Not sure if I could, really. I got back on the bike and hobbled over to the finish to let Buddy know I was dropping out.

This morning I ache. Left ankle, both knees, right thigh and right shoulder all hurt. There is no damage other than strains and bruises but I feel like I got hit by train. Not sure whether I will race today at Tilles or not. I will go and ride around a bit, seeing if I can get over the barriers and handle the dismount/remounts. If not, I will take some photos.

Oh yeah. Adding insult to injury as I was driving back to St Louis I got pulled over by a cop. I had just crossed into Mo and was on a 2-lane highway heading toward St. Marys. I was motoring along at 70 in a 55 zone and thought I saw a cop in the distance. I eased off the pedal and hoped he would just pass. But no... soon enough he was swinging a U. He had me at 70 and that was pretty accurate. I said I didnt think I was going that fast but that if he had me that fast I wouldnt argue. Of course, I knew I was going that fast. He took the license and went back to the patrol car. He came back a little later and said he would just give a warning and that if I was going 1mph faster that he would have had to write a ticket. I guess he liked my cleavage :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home