Thursday, February 02, 2006

Punxsutawney who?

There are events that mark certain times and milestones in the year. Some of these are traditional, some are more personal. At this time of year, there are events that show we are on a downhill slope to the end of winter. That the end of cold days and bare trees is in sight.

Among the things that mark the approach of Spring to me is being less than a month away from the first road race of the year. The race may well be freezing and snowy but the road season is the de facto start of Spring. The
24 hours of Daytona always gets me in the mood for Spring, too. Seeing the sports cars circle Daytona always gets me a little excited for the end of winter.

Groundhog Day does not get me excited but, by chance, one of my personal markers of Spring happened this morning while walking in to work from my car. In the cool, pre-dawn hours this morning a bird was chirping. That welcoming sound drifts away, unnoticed, in the winter but when I suddenly hear it again I can't help but pause and realize what has been missing for so many weeks. Spring is on the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home