Saturday, March 18, 2006

Friday night I got to bed before 11pm in the hopes of getting an extremely rare 8 hrs of sleep instead of my usual 6. That plan worked for less than 2hrs. I had slipped into a sound sleep when work called. One of our backup processes was not working. I crawled out of bed, turned on the computer and logged in to work. I couldn't figure out why the backup stopped running but I edited the procedure and had the operator start the new procedure. It started working properly, thank goodness, and I tried to resume my sleep but you never fall right back to sleep after being up for over an hour. A little after 6am my body's alarm clock went off and it was another night of maybe 5.5 hrs of sleep. My sinuses also picked Friday night to open the floodgates and drain into my lungs. I was hacking and coughing all morning.

Enough of the "woe is me". It was Saturday and I was doing two races. I took a warmup lap before the 4/5's raced and suddenly my front derailleur wasn't shifting properly and instead was always rubbing the chain. Maplewood had a little maintenance area set up and dude did some nice work adjusting both my front and rear derailleurs. He did good.

There was a good Masters turnout. Somewhere in the low 30's if my quick counting was accurate. The obvious people to watch were Russ and Ethan. Sure enough sometime after 10 minutes Russ and a Mack(?) rider pulled away. Ethan did go after them, which surprised me a little. Maybe he was saving himself for the big race. He got in the next break of a few riders, though. There just wasn't enough horsepower in the remaining guys to bring those guys back. There were a good number of CBC and VeloForce guys in the race and they controlled things well. It seemed only Brian(?) from the Chupacabra and I were the only ones to go to the front except those other two teams. On the last lap I took a chance and attacked at the base of the hill. I went up pretty well but didn't open a gap and the big attacks came up top. I was wasted and tacked on to the back of the pack for the remainder of the lap.

Giuseppe called tonight and said I won a prime during the race and that he picked it up for me. I'm not sure when I won that prime but I'm not going to argue.

Bad stuff: Attacking up the hill was a bonehead move. I knew where the attacks would come and I still did it.
Good stuff: Got the first crit under the belt. Did a fair amount of work. Dressed properly for the temps

My legs were tight for the start of the 3/4's. About 10 minutes in, they loosened up some there was still some fatigue for the whole race. Along the way I had a couple decent attacks. Nothing extraordinary but it added a little aggression to the race. As a team I thought everyone rode pretty aggressively. What we seemed to lack were counter-attacks. Jose rode strong all race and got sixth. Aaron rode aggressively and may have pulled out a top 10. I think I finished around 20th, give or take a place or two.

Bad stuff: My high speed cornering could use some work. My recovery from efforts needs some work.
Good stuff: I did pretty well for a second race. I showed some aggression. Felt pretty strong at the end.

Milan-San Remo followup: My selections did well. Pippo Pozzato won. I was THIS close to including him in my picks. Close doesn't count though. Of my 16 selections, 12 riders (6 from each team) finished in the lead group of 33 and 8 of the top 20. Not too shabby. I nabbed 6th, 8th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 24th, 27th, 28th and 32nd. I'm happiest with my selection of Murilo Fischer. He was a bit of a wildcard and he came through.

Photo of the Day:
I didn't have much time for pictures at the race today so here is one of Christophe and Robertober as we pre-rode the course last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home