Monday, March 13, 2006

As mentioned last week, I had been scouring maps of MO trying to figure out what a 2007 Tour of MO might look like.

In my amateur J.M. Leblanc mind there are certain goals you try to achieve with a Tour route. Among those goals are

1) A route that utilizes much of the state

2) Start/Finish towns capable of being hosts (hotels, motels, restaurants, etc)

3) Limited transfer times between finishing and starting towns

4) Varied terrain


So, where would you start a Tour of MO? Anywhere works I suppose but three cities seem logical to me. Jefferson City because it is the state capitol plus St Louis and KC because they are the largest cities. Starting at either side of the state and moving toward the other side is easier than trying to start in the middle (Jeff City) and still utilizing the big cities on either side. Nonetheless, I mocked up three completely different routes. Each route with a different starting city.

After coming up with my 3 routes, STLbiking.com had an update today saying that the initial plans call for week-long KC to STL route that would also include Columbia, Jeff City, Springfield, Branson and maybe Rolla. That description matches rather closely what I had envisioned. Since those are the rumors, here is what I had created last week for a KC to STL Tour of MO. About all I left out was Branson. I considered Branson but it didn't fit well into my routes.

Without further adieu, here is my route for next years Tour. I will try and provide more detail in a day or two.

Stage 1 - Kansas City to Sedalia
Stage 2 - Sedalia to Columbia
Stage 3 - Jefferson City TT
Stage 4 - Lake of the Ozarks to Springfield
Stage 5 - Springfield to Waynesville/Fort Leonard Wood
Stage 6 - Rolla to Park Hills
Stage 7 - Park Hills to St Louis

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

The interesting question for me is would this be a UCI event? If so, where to put it on the calendar? What teams do you suppose will come?

8:42 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I think UCI would be expected. That's not to say you will be getting CSC or Phonak over here. Just as you didn't get Sven Nijs coming over for the UCI 'cross race in Kansas City.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home