Monday, March 13, 2006

I had a ride report for Saturday mostly complete when my computer went spastic and would only "think" about doing work but never do anything.

In short I started toward Sylvan Springs at 9am. The roads were still damp from the nights rain but the temps were most comfortable although it was breezy. There have been other warm days this year but they never seemed to be on the weekends so this was the first exposed skin ride of the year. I rode around Sylvan for a little while and felt sluggish. Ran across TK and he followed on his MTB for a few laps. He left and I got bored so I did a lap in JB and took a few pictures. On the way back, I passed Robertober. He turned around and we headed back over to Sylvan. We rode a few laps and Christophe Cleeland finally showed up around 10am. So much for his 8am arrival. Sometime after that Fullerini and Arn Jonsson. Along the way I cranked out a couple nice efforts up the hill. Then it was back over to JB for 3(?) laps before everyone was ready to leave. The others were all heading toward south city and Affton so I tagged along for some extra miles. Ultimately I ended up going along River Des Peres, into Webster and then south again on Sappington. Turned into 3.5 hrs and by the end I was beat. Not expecting that much riding I had taken no food and was dragging my booty home into the wind. By 3pm I had to close my eyes for an hour. Post ride weight was 147.7 and my whiteness had a gained a pinkish hue.

Sunday was another warm day. Cloudy and very humid. Only Fullerini and I showed up at 8 in Columbia. We did a basic Maeystown ride taking Levee and 156 south and then B and Levee back. There was a moderate headwind going south but we were a steady 20-22 mph. It doesn't sound terribly fast but into the wind it caused a good burn. After turning onto 156 I flatted. Somebody flipped the wind switch while I changed the tube because when we started again, the wind felt 10mph faster. Instead of 20+mph it was 17-18mph and we working harder. Even at that, Giuseppe had to dip in behind me for a little draft toward the end of Rte 156.

When we stopped in Maeystown, the thing I noticed most was how wet I was. We gave a good effort all the way down. No drafting, no lollygagging. Just good work into a headwind.

As we were about to leave, Giuseppe had a flat that needed fixing. The trip back was better but we didnt have as much of a tailwind as expected. There was still a good amount of crosswind and the last couple sections going south along the golf course and on Bluff Rd added a bit more hurt.

Back at the cars I debated whether to head over to Millstadt. I've been wanting to check out the riding in that direction but never get over there. I was weary but decided to go. Going alone I wouldn't have any pressure to push myself too hard. I looked at my written directions and headed out. I got on Main St and started looking for Cherry St. I kept going and going and never came across Cherry. Finally I got to Kunz, a road I was going to return on and figured I missed Cherry somehow. Back north I headed but still couldn't find Cherry. I improvised and went down to Palmer and Quarry roads. I was getting nowhere fast when I saw Rueck Rd which I knew would lead back up to Main St. At this point I was frustrated and just headed back to the car before getting lost. My excursion to nowhere added another 6+ miles.

Post ride weight: 146.5 I was bonked and sore all evening. Even today I was fatigued but am feeling better tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home