Monday, May 22, 2006

I love it when a plan...

completely falls apart. After spending a week off the bike and ready to start training again, my throat begins to hurt Friday morning. By the time I get home the cold had solidly set in. I decided to give my body a break and not ride. Saturday morning I wasn't able to ride because of work but there was no way I was going to ride. I felt like crap with occasional fever, headaches, sore muscles and throat.

Saturday night Joe called saying he and Mark were riding Sunday. I told him not to expect me but that if my condition improved I would try to make it to Columbia. Surprisingly, I felt pretty good the next morning except for coughing up some thick goop. That is always a good sign in my book. Better to have it out of my body than in.

I'm not smart enough to let my body get proper rest so I went to Columbia. It was a ride of the rolling wounded. Me being sick, Mark recovering after about 2 wks off the bike because of his Edwardsville crash and Joe riding again after 3 weeks for... well, it's not important. We did okay despite all our various infirmaries. I was kind of chilled as we refueled down in Maeystown but felt better when we got rolling again. My left knee starting hurting on the way back. Same thing as last year except I think it was the right knee last year. I have had this I.T. band issue enough to know how to deal with it. Still, I need to be somewhat careful in how hard I ride.

On the Giro front, OLN should have gone ahead and shown Saturday's stage rather than Sunday's stage. So what if it wasn't same day coverage, it was a much better race. Yesterday was a snooze except for the final 2 or 3 k's and even those weren't special. If there hadn't been some nice scenery I probably would have fallen asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home