Monday, June 05, 2006

Joe, Mark G, Glen and I headed for a something a little different Saturday. I was uncertain about my knee and hadn't set any plans for a ride so we improvised. We took Vance, Big Bend, out past Castlewood. then St. Paul, Manchester and down Woods. I had never gone down Woods before. Always gone up the hill. Damn fine road to ride down, if I do say so. Then up Melrose and down Allenton and into Eureka. We finished with Hwy FF, to John McKeever and into House Springs and up Old Gravois to High Ridge. Nice riding all around. Total riding was about 125km and according to Joe's Polar around 3200' of elevation.

Sunday we had a Phawley invite for Jeffco at 7am. The invite was tempting and I'm an early riser but I just wasn't up for a 7am ride. Joe and I went to IL instead. Joe had Maeystown in mind. I mentioned that Fort des Chartres was having one of their Rendezvous celebrations and that what could roll by there and check it out for a little bit. Saying the fort further north than Prairie du Rocher was enough for him to say okay. Of course, the road leading to the fort adds a mile or two and then we had to go to Prairie anyway to refuel.

The damndest thing happened while at the fort. We went into the fort's courtyard where they were just about to begin a procession of various groups. Colonial French soldiers, some Scottish soldiers, British too along with ordinary settlers. Also in the procession were some Indians. Native Americans for the politically correct. At least they were supposed to be Indians. I don't know. A couple hundred people lined the path out of the fort. When the Indians passed by Joe and I this one Indian kept looking over at me and Joe and even nudged the guy next to him. What's up with that? Yeah, we were dressed in lycra but you are bald with a tuft of hair and feathers at the back of your head. Not to mention you are wearing a loin cloth. And you are staring at us?

We didn't hang around long before starting the return trip. There have been windier days but the trip back was a grinder with little twinges of leg cramps from Maeystown Rd. up to Columbia. We did okay despite some fatigue. I felt much much better than last week despite riding about 20 more miles. Total ride was approx. 140kms. The miles were good after having a few weeks of not the best riding. Now I need to mix in some speed work and things will be good for the coming weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home