Friday, June 16, 2006

Last night I got a rare good night's sleep. Oh, sure, I still got my usual 5 to 6 hrs of sleep which really isn't enough but I hate going to bed before 10. For some reason, last night I slept soundly for the whole night and woke up feeling refreshed for the first time in recent memory. If only I could sleep like that every night.

Tuesday Worlds went okay this week. I hung out in the pack for much of the night, like I have been doing lately. This week though I actually felt good enough to bridge up a Pirtle party of Ryan and James. It seemed they were going a little easy hoping to get a little support and the bad news for them is that they got me. I took one turn and Ryan came through. While drifting back I saw someone peripherally coming up from behind. At the bottom of the hill I utter lack of fitness reared it's head. I looked back and saw that it was Mr. Hill that had bridged up. I motioned that he better pull through and gave a few pedal strokes to close the few feet that I let open up. He stayed and I drifted back to the pack. The three of them were never seen again. My efforts were rather fruitless but I take my willingness to try getting in a move as another step back to fitness.

Thursday afternoon I had a window of ride time open up after work. I threw on the kit, grabbed the bike and hit it pretty hard right out of the block, down Kerth, to the Bottoms and finally eased up at the bridge. I was gassed but I needed a good effort. I continued up 21, which I normally don't ride on except to cross the bridge. There is a better shoulder than I remember. Must be from the construction that has gone on over the last few years. I rode up to Hagemann and then back down to the Bottoms before going up Wells, into Suson and back through the subdivisions. The ride wasn't real long but it served its purpose for a quick one.

This morning my right achilles hurts. My only guess is that I should have warmed up a little instead of go hard from the very outset. Hopefully, the irritation will go away quickly. Walking was not terribly comfortable at work today.

Random thought: I was driving down Delmar a couple weeks ago on my way to the shop when I passed a car. It was a typical small hatchback. There was nothing particularly unique about the car other than having more than it's fair share of stickers in the rear window. My eyes glanced over to see what liberal causes they were promoting. How did I know they would be liberal causes? I have a theory that if a car has at least 10 stickers on it, the stickers will be for liberal causes. You willl get the occasional gung-ho conservative with maybe 5 stickers adorning their vehicle. But only a truly committed lib can be so pious that they would cover their fossil fuel burning, ozone-destroying, pollution machines in stickers. I think they feel guilty and cover the vehicle in stickers to try and camouflage the fact that they are driving the evil, earth destroying machines. But, I digress. Proudly stuck on the rear window of the hatchback were two stickers that caught my eye. One sticker was the rainbow colors proclaiming the driver's gayness. The other sticker proclaimed "Keep Abortion Legal". Isn't it logical that, if you are gay, abortion is one topic that you could completely avoid and not worry about? Maybe not. Otherwise, you would have to find another cause to save the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home