Thursday, June 08, 2006

Went down to the Bottoms this evening. I got on the bike and was less than a 1/4 mile from home and kept hearing a jingly-jangly coming from the rear wheel. The same sound occurred last night but I didn't give it much thought since I didn't ride much after installing the new wheel. I stopped and bounced the bike a little to see if I could isolate the sound but could not. After crossing Butler Hill, the noise finally bugged me enough to give the bike a good examination. The more I listened, the more the sound seemed to come from the cassette area. I pulled over, got off and examined the cassette. Sure enough, the first set of cogs (the 23 and 21) were slopping around. At that point, I immediately remembered that 10-speeds have a little spacer that goes in place before any of the gears. I didn't take that spacer off the old wheel before installing the cassette on the new wheel. Thus the sloppy, jingly noise of the cassette moved around on rougher pavement.

Despite the improperly installed cassette I continued the ride with a 5-ish minute interval, then a climb up Hagemann and another street off of Hagemann that I hadn't been on but had a nice small climb. Back down to the Bottoms and up Wells. In and out of Suson and then through subdivisions and the hills of Greenton, Brookton, etc.

The legs felt a little better tonight. They won't be great for the weekend but maybe they will be halfway decent. The Easton Orions felt good again tonight. Light and snappy for nice accelerations.

I really need to get the hair off my legs. I feel slow just looking at the hair.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking about your hairy legs makes me sick, you filthy creature.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

You thinking about my hairy legs makes me even sicker.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Just reading your username makes me sickest.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home