Sunday, June 18, 2006

Winghaven

The positives: Nice course, good roads, nice atmosphere, decent weather.

The negatives: Me

A twelve lap race (3 mile loops) and I was essentially done after three laps. I had a gap after the first roundabout following the start/finish. And that was the race for me. I had nothing more to give other than gasping for air. The pack even slowed down, seemingly, and my legs had nothing. My lungs had nothing. I finished the fourth lap and pulled out.

When I started racing I couldn't finish a race for two years. I would finish RR's because they don't pull you in those but the finish of crits were never seen by me. My career has come full circle. Right now, I am not capable of finishing a race. A Cat 4 race would push me to the limits right now. I'm puzzled, confused, frustrated and seriously considering giving up the racing. It's been 14 consecutive years of riding in circles. Some good years, some bad and a lot of average but fun nonetheless. Right now, there is no fun. I'll probably finish the year but beyond that I do not know.

4 Comments:

Blogger Butthead said...

Don't give up so quick! What are you doing when it comes to training? Anyways bike racing is all about ups and downs......you just have to ride the wave.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Bobber said...

Yeah, you can't give up Jimbo, you are one of my inspirations. Go do some fun riding. How about another St. Gen Granfundo? But this time lets do it early Saturday so I can join in the fun.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Bike Drool said...

I hear you, Jim. This season has been nothing but SUCK for me also. To keep at it, I try to look at it from a distance. What else do you get out of it? It's a good way to keep the lbs. down, and you get outside, etc... It's no fun when racing is not going well, but the speed of racing simply cannot be attained during training rides, or the Sunday morning group ride. So, even if the finish isn't there, the speed of cruising in a pack is still a thrill. Go through all the reasons why you race... and if the only reason is to win, then yeah, it will be a frustrating hobby. I'm hating it right now too, and can share in your sentiment. Maybe just take a break for a bit? Heck, I don't have any productive suggestions, I'm in the same boat as you right now!! But don't hang up the bike just yet... there are always more races, and you never know when things might all come together for a great race.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a tough stretch Jim. I know you can do better than finish these races. You can really contribute. I'm thinking back to Carondelet & Forest Park where you were rode your a** off. Plus, you can ride me into the ground at will, and I'm f*ing finishing 'em. If your not feeling it, take a couple weeks off from racing and look forward to something a little later in the season. Otherwise, why not come out for the standard Saturday fun and kick my butt around Jeffco for a few hours.

Oh yeah, and I second what Butthead said about training...

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home