Saturday, August 05, 2006

Rode out to Kirkwood today in case anyone showed up to the Saturday ride. Even if they had, I was not going to do a usual ride. All I wasnted was some miles and I got that. Some hard and some casual miles but enough work that my legs know they rode. When no one showed up (thank goodness) I was undecided about where to go and finally settled on riding through Kirkwood and Webster.

By the way, whats up with the little place at the corner of Geyer and Rose Hill, one block north of Big Bend? That place has been a couple things. It has been a little store, a deli/sandwich place, etc. I went by today and it has been fancied up with some nice landscaping and what looks to be a nice outdoor dining area. Inside were some nice tables and some small chandeliers. There is no sign out front yet so I guess it's not open yet but I give the owners some credit for making the place look good.

After going through Webster, I turned south on Elm to make my down toward Grant's Trail by Grant's Farm. I see that they have paved the new extension. I'm not sure how far it goes but it was as far as the eye could see. The only thing was the sidewalk section by the street still needed some concrete poured.

I set out to take it easy along the trail and take in the "scenery". Down by Teshire, I passed Mark going the other way and yelled. Both of us were semi-incognito with only Shark shorts on and we didn't recognize each other right away. He was doing a couple out and backs to spin the legs. We chatted a bit and went our own ways.

As I started up Mr "Big Dude In Obnoxious USA Jersey and Shorts" settled in behind me. I didn't pay any attention and was not sure just how far back he was but I could hear that he was reasonably close. A little way down the path, I come upon some walkers going my way and some bikes coming the other way and I slowed in a gentlemanly manner. Those coming the opposite way went by and I was about to pass when Mr Big Dude came blowing. Okay, Schmuck. That was unnecessary. We may not be racing but dammit you will not stay ahead of me. I closed down the 100+ ft lead easily enough and went by him. It may be my imagination but after I went by he seemed to make an effort to stay close in comparison to how easily I caught him. I stopped at Union for the crosswalk and he pulled up. Forget it bud, I'm not acknowledging you.

The light changed and I acclerated pretty good and down the path I went at a decent pace. I stopped at Reavis and a few seconds later he pulls up again. He had to be working to stay somewhat close. The light changes and off again I go. I should start crits with such aggression. He must have cracked a little because I circled around at the end, by Orlando Gardens, for a good half minute and still didn't see him before heading off and exploring some stuff on my own.

After my exploration was done I headed back on the trail so I could go up to Clydesdale Park and back home. Lo and behold, just after crossing Reavis I see Mr Big Dude again and that god-awful jersey. Again, I gained ground pretty quick proving that he was trying to keep up before. With great pleasure I eased up from behind and with a 100 ft gap I downshifted and motored past him. Even better was when I reached Union again the light changed and I kept on rolling.

Anyway, enough of my pettiness. Sunday is the State Crit in Jeff City. This is a fun course and I feel pretty decent. We'll see what I can do at crunch time. And after the race I plan on indulging in a sandwich or wrap at Cafe Via Roma, just across from the Capitol. I've gone the last couple years and had a tasty chicken wrap. Good stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

The tomato and mozzarella never fails to impress...it sure didn't today! But like the fool that I am, I passed on the smoothie.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'm always tempted by the smoothies but never get one. But dang, the Cajun Chicken wrap was it's usual tastiness.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

I saw a lady riding a Segway on the path next to River Des Peres road Saturday morning. I guess she was getting her workout!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home